Wednesday, September 12, 2012

CrockPot Coq au Vin

Greg and I made this the traditional way for Valentines Day dinner once, straight from my beloved Julia Child cookbook and it was fa nominal! Although I'm sure I drank just about as much wine as the recipe called for while cooking it. We were a little ill prepared for the evening. Long story short; we cooked, we drank, we ate late. So I found this recipe for it using the CrockPot, and thought I'd give it a shot and see if it's similar.

CrockPot Coq au Vin

Things you'll need:

6 to 8 frozen chicken breasts
6 slices bacon 
8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms
1 cup baby carrots sliced
1 yellow onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced or mashed
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 cups red wine
2 large fresh thyme sprigs (I really think the fresh thyme is the key here)
Salt and pepper to taste

  • Slice and cook your bacon
  • Dump the frozen chicken into your crockpot
  • layer the rest of the ingredients
  • Just throw it all in
  • Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. You could cook it on high for 4, but it tastes better if you cook it longer. The flavors meld so nicely when cooked low and slow.
  • Before you serve, pull out the chicken and chop it up, then throw it back in the sauce.
We served it with white rice but you could also serve it with pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment