Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Rare Breakfast: Simple Fruit Danish

I found this recipe and decided I'd save it for a weekend because it looked so good, and I'm a big fan of danishes. I can say it is really very simple and you can definitely make this half asleep while you drink your coffee. I think I may try and revisit it later and do it from scratch but I'm not entirely sure just yet.

Simple Fruit Danish:

Things you'll need:
2 packages (8oz) refrigerated crescent rolls
1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1 21oz can pie filling


Glaze (optional):
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 - 3 tbsp milk

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Unroll the crescent rolls and separate, set aside 4 for decoration
  • On a baking sheet arrange the triangles into a circle, leave about a 3 in hole in the center, using a rolling pin connect the triangles so you now have a doughnut shaped pastry
  • For the cream cheese filling combine the cream cheese, powdered sugar, egg and extract in a medium bowl until smooth
  • Spread the cream cheese mixture onto the dough, leaving about a 1/2 inch uncovered on both edges
  • Cover the cream cheese with your pie filling
  • Using a pizza cutter, cut the 4 crescent rolls you set aside earlier into thirds (it's easier if you start at the wider end)
  • Arrange the strips evenly over the filling and press the ends to seal at the center and outer edges
  • Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown
  • For the glaze just whisk the ingredients together and drizzle on top

When I did this I opted for a pizza pan instead of a baking sheet because of it's shape, and also the grating in the pan makes for a crispier crust on the bottom. I also chose not to do the glaze; we prefer a not so sweet breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment