Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Rare Breakfast: French Toast Souffle

Good morning,
Yes, occasionally there is a rare occurrence when I make breakfast. Today's is a french toast souffle that I found on Pinterest. Now, essentially this is made like a bread pudding, but that is for dessert, so to make people feel better it is simply easier to call it a souffle. This is a recipe that is made the night before, and I think it's safe to say that it's this way because it has to cook for 50 min. This is nice for people like me who enjoy sleeping in on the weekend and, lets face it, every other day as well. If you are a "rise at the crack of dawn kind of person" I would dare say it is safe to make this the morning of.

French Toast Souffle:


Things you'll need:
1 loaf of bread (crusty preferably) cut into 1in cubes
8oz of cream cheese (softened)
8 lg eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup half and half
1/2 cup maple syrup, plus more for garnish
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp powdered sugar

Place the bread cubes in a lightly greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, and incorporate well after each addition. Add the milk, half and half, syrup and vanilla extract beat until mixture is smooth. Pour this onto the bread cubes, cover and refrigerate overnight.
When you wake up remove the souffle from the refrigerator and let sit for 30 min. Preheat the oven to 350.
Bake uncovered for 50 min or until knife is inserted in the middle and comes out clean. Pour syrup on top and dust with powdered sugar, serve and enjoy!

Since I don't follow the rules:
I used 4 oz of strawberry cream cheese (because we had it), added 2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, and I'll let everyone pour their own syrup. Experiment with things that you think you would like; I think next time, I'll try putting some jam in it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment